Written by Samantha Joseph
New Yorkers now top spenders for Miami homes
New Yorkers are emerging as the darlings of local real estate. Accustomed to expensive property and wanting to escape state taxes, they’re outspending other buyers to set up a local home base.
“They’re now competing with the South Americans, and in a lot of the cases the New Yorkers are willing to pay more,” said Helen Jeanne Nicastri, the previews international specialist at Coldwell Banker who this year sold actress Rosie O’Donnell’s $16.5 million Star Island house to a New Yorker.
“That’s how they’re getting into the market. Previously it was the South Americans who were willing to pay more than the locals,” she said. “The prices we are offering here are substantially lower than what they are used to paying in New York and other cities.”
Local property values have been a major draw to American homebuyers in the past three years, said Ron Shuffield, president and CEO of Esslinger-Wooten-Maxwell Realtors.
“When you compare with other world centers we are a fraction of the cost. You can literally buy three or four of our Brickell Avenue condos for the price of one in New York,” he said.
That’s why New York has become the area’s leading feeder market, accounting for about 15% of luxury real estate sales this year – up five percentage points in the past 12 months, said Jeff Morr, CEO and founder of Majestic Properties, and chairman of the Master Brokers Forum, a group whose members have reached $5 million in annual sales.
“They’re coming from a more expensive market, so they can deal with the prices better than someone from a low-value area of the country,” he said.
They’re dealing better too than buyers from other countries.
Howard Lorber says brokerage Douglas Elliman had initially geared its luxury oceanfront Miami Beach condominium sales to international buyers. But the $2.5 million to $50 million price tag for condos at Faena House made him think the project would be better suited to a different market.
“I was right. When you look at all the people who have bought, they are all New Yorkers,” he said last week at the Urban Land Institute’s Miami Condo Market Symposium.
With deep pockets and low sensitivity to high real estate prices, these Americans are outspending their Latin counterparts.
“Who else but a New Yorker would think $3,000 per square foot is cheap?” said Mr. Lorber, CEO of Vector Group Ltd. and chairman of Douglas Elliman.
“A lot has been made about the importance of the international buyer, but the phenomenon now is redefining the relationship between Miami and New York,” said Jonathan Miller, president and CEO of Miller Samuel Inc., a real estate appraisal and consulting firm. “In some ways, Miami competes with The Hamptons.”
Part of the willingness to spend comes from a desire to avoid rising state income taxes that have top earners parting with huge chunks of their earnings.
“If you earned $1 million in New York and paid 12% combined state and city income taxes, that’s $120,000,” said Mr. Morr. “If you’re able to homestead in Miami and not pay those taxes, that would buy you a $1.5 million house.”
How? The cost of finance a $1.5 million house with taxes, insurance and mortgages is about $10,000 per month or $120,000 a year.
“You’d have a free house,” he said. “With the money you’d save by living in Florida, you could live in a $1.5 million house.”
Some states are looking to rein in citizens looking to avoid income tax, but Florida has long been an attractive haven for such dollars.
And with a thriving urban art scene that includes ballet, new museums and cultural festivals, marketers say Miami-Dade is in sync with “the New York state of mind.”
“These buyers are following in the footsteps of their grandparents who also came here, but now it’s different,” Ms. Nicastri said. “The earlier group came to retire, but this crowd is coming to play.”
The market’s not only attracting native New Yorkers, it’s also drawing wealthy part-time residents of the northeastern metropolitan area.
“They’re adopting the same lifestyle,” Ms. Nicastri said. “They’re adding Miami to New York. And Brazilians who come here also adding New York [real estate], so it’s going both ways. New York has become a very important market for us.”
But with brokers reporting a 25% spike in purchases from New Yorkers, Mr. Shuffield said, “The big story is the return of the American buyer to Miami.”
PRICES STARTING AT $245.000
MORE THAN A RESIDENCE…
Your own Sanctuary
Located in the Heart of Hollywood Beach, centrally positioned between Miami and Palm Beach. It offers guests a chance to indulge in sun and sand while providing iconic shopping, dining and entertainment scenes…..all within
- · Oceanfront location on the Hollywood Boardwalk
- · Two six-story Condo-Resor buildings.
- · 307 fully furnished smart home technology residences.
- · On-site restaurants, upscale boutiques and exciting nightlife scenarios.
- · Hollistic spa and fully equipped fitness center.
- · Rooftop infinity pool and lounge area.
- · Beach-Club with exclusive beach services.
- · 24hr room services, house keeping, concierge services and robotic valet parking.
Today’s new homes offer more benefits than ever before. Here’s a quick list of the Top 10 reasons why so many home buyers prefer new homes to used houses:
1) Design Your Dream Home Your Way: Why settle for someone else’s choices when you can select your favorite cabinets, countertops, appliances, carpets and flooring? While you’re at it, you can choose gorgeous bath and kitchen fixtures, lighting and other options that you love. Your new home will reflect your style, not someone else’s taste.
2) Choose a Floorplan and Room Layout that Meets Your Needs: Want a master bedroom on the first floor? It’s yours. With massive his and her’s walk-in closets? Done! Want high ceilings and a luxurious, resort-style master bath? Perhaps you’d like a sitting room with a fireplace in your owner’s suite or French doors that open to your private patio or the pool? It’s easy, when you build your master suite your way.
3) All New, Under Warranty: A used home likely has tired products that may soon need replacing. Your new home — and the products that comprise it — are brand-new and under warranty. What’s the cost to replace a roof, appliances, countertops or a water heater on a used home? Those components of your new home feature the latest designs and building materials and should offer you years of comfort and enjoyment before needing replacement.
4) Energy and Cost Savings: Today’s new homes are far more energy efficient than homes built just five years ago. Versus homes built ten or 20 years ago, it’s game over, advantage new.Why settle for drafty, energy-wasting single-pane windows in a used home? Many new homes offer double or even triple-pane windows. Special window coatings and inert gases between the layers of glass are often available, saving you even more energy and money in both heating and cooling season.
Davie Homes – Real Estate Market Report
**see below for Davie home sale information**
There are currently 220 Davie homes for sale
- Highest Priced Listing is $7,495,000 (located at 6401 Rodeo Dr.) originally $8,900,000
- Lowest Priced Listing is $70,000 (Short Sale at 3860 SW 59th Ter.)
- Pending Sales (Properties under contract): 49 (19 more than last month)
- Closed Sales in September: 50 (16 less than last month)
There were only 7 distressed properties sold last month out of the 50!! Out of those distressed 4 were Short-Sales. This shows the continuous trend of Short-Sales out numbering Foreclosures. A rule change in November 2012 made it easier for non-delinquent borrowers with loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to sell properties for less than they owe. So if you are behind on payments and think you may be a Candidate for a Short-Sale or just need advice on selling your home you can call on us for guidance.
**3429 Brandenham Lane – Davie Home sold in Long Lake Ranches Renoir Majestic Model.7 bedroom w/a first floor guest suite that could easily be converted to a media room; spacious office, fabulous designer dining room, gorgeous game room/loft w/flat screen TV, lushly landscaped heated pool area w/spa, Extended covered patio area that overlooks expansive fenced back yard. Rolladen Accordian Shutters,3 zone A/C ,security system, planation shutters throughout! Custom mill work, gourmet kitchen & all bathrooms updated
Modern Doral, Contemporary Homes in the Heart of Doral Miami, FL
|Modern Doral Is Now Taking Reservations
CONTACT ME TODAY For Availability!
Location: Doral Miami
Modern Doral Homes in Miami
Miami Modernist Architecture is a style of architecture from the 1950s and 1960s that originated in Miami, Florida as a resort vernacular unique to Miami Beach. This style will now influence the newest luxury community and monumental architectural achievement in the City of Doral, known as Modern Doral.
Highlighted by its modern style, wide living spaces, contemporary details and state-of-the-art features, this extravagant community will be reminiscent of the style proliferating in Miami Beach.
Modern Doral will have three separate subdivisions, all extraordinary in their own way, encompassing a total of 319 single-family luxury homes. The community will also feature 150,000 –square-feet of retail space containing fine dining, eclectic shopping and more.
Floor Plans & Additional Photos
Price List | FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL US NOW! Karen Hurst & Gabe Rosa EWM Realty International
Price list for this property is currently available upon request. Call or email us today for updated pricing information, availability, and current offers for this new property.
Disclaimer: ORAL REPRESENTATIONS CANNOT BE RELIED UPON AS CORRECTLY STATING REPRESENTATIONS OF THE DEVELOPER. FOR CORRECT REPRESENTATIONS, MAKE REFERENCE TO THE BROCHURE AND TO THE DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY SECTION 718.503, FLORIDA STATUES TO BE FURNISHED BY A DEVELOPER TO A BUYER OR LESSEE. OBTAIN THE PROPERTY REPORT REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW AND READ IT BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING. NO FEDERAL AGENCY HAS JUDGED THE MERITS OR VALUE, IF ANY, OF THIS PROPERTY
THE INFORMATION PROVIDED, INCLUDING PRICING, IS SOLELY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES, AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. ORAL REPRESENTATIONS CANNOT BE RELIED UPON AS CORRECTLY STATING THE REPRESENTATIONS OF THE DEVELOPER. FOR CORRECT REPRESENTATIONS, REFERENCE SHOULD BE MADE TO THE DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY SECTION 718.503, FLORIDA STATUTES, TO BE FURNISHED BY A DEVELOPER TO A BUYER OR LESSEE.
This offering is made only by the Prospectus for the Condominium and no statement should be relied upon if not made in the Prospectus. This is not intended to be an offer to sell nor a solicitation of offers to buy real estate to residents of CT, ID, NJ, NY and OR, unless registered or exemptions are available, or in any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law, and your eligibility for purchase will depend upon your state of residency.
ALL IMAGES SHOWN AND INFORMATION PROVIDED ARE SOLELY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. FOR THE LATEST DETAILS FOR THIS PROJECT PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SALES REPRESENTATIVE TO GET THE MOST ACCURATE INFORMATION AVAILABLE.